Monday, April 2, 2012

Allow Me to Explain


I suppose it's only fitting that the first post on this blog of my life and loves is an explanation. I owe it to you, dear reader, for being kind enough to check out this little diary of mine before it's even off the ground. Why "Living Spotlight," you ask? For a true answer to that story, we'll need to travel back to a time before I even existed.


After their first ended suddenly in a miscarriage, my parents were thrilled to learn they were pregnant again. They looked through hundreds of names in various baby name books, searching for just the right moniker for their unborn baby girl. My mom had her heart set on giving me her mother's middle name, so the only task left was finding the perfect first name to match. They put a lot of stock in the meaning of names; whatever the first name ended up being, its meaning needed to fit with that of the middle name ("light"). They also wanted a name with Biblical roots. Eventually they settled on Rebecca, which can mean several things, one of which is "captivating." This combination not only honored my heritage, but reflected their hope for my future, that I would be a captivating light shining out the love of my Savior for the world to see.


So, this is my mission in life. I won't sugarcoat it; I fail often and hard. I'm stubborn, impatient, prideful, and I worry too much. But I am also compassionate, loyal, helpful, and filled with joy. And in everything, my hope is to live in a way that those around me can see Christ's love shining like a lighthouse beacon, drawing them in with its glory. "I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." Romans 12:1-2.


The focus of each post will shift dramatically, from my weight-loss journey to music I've written to amusing experiences. However, the goal will always be the same; to give you a peek into my life as I live it, giving glory to God all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment